Of course I am Happy, and very proud that she is only 16 months old and definitely understand the concept. Can you blame her? Pee Pee = 2 pieces of Skittles candy or her choice!! or in Baby K's words "my tweet" (aka treat).
ahh the thoughts of not buying diapers soon is VERY exciting.
But on the other hand, it makes me sad. Sad that my little girl, is growing up SO fast!!
I am happy that all of our little techniques have been working and she is really excited to go in the potty. I have heard night mares from other moms of kids hating the potty and wanting no part of it.
So I decided to come up with my version of the best way to get your child comfortable with the potty.
- Start young- get them comfortable with it around 15 months or earlier if you can.
- Make it a "cool" potty and let them help pick it out or even decorate it with stickers once you get home.
- Get a small basket for books to put next to it to allow the child to have something to do while he/she sits.
- Decide on a treat for when they actually "go" in the potty. A few ideas are jelly beans, MnMs, skittles, etc.
- Be sure to make a HUGE deal out of it when they go! clap to show how exciting, sing a song, give them a "great job!!" hug.
- Sit them on the potty as soon as they wake up either in the morning or after their nap.
- Once they seem to get the hang of it, switch to pull ups so they feel more like a big kid!